“I feel that the internship program had been well planned and structured which has enabled me to enhance both my practical skills and academic knowledge… ”
Are you a dynamic individual looking for a challenging internship that will provide you with solid experience? The internship program at Peak Centre for Human Performance will help you become a more effective sport scientist by:
- Increasing knowledge and practical application of exercise physiology
- Gaining the ability to properly design, demonstrate and implement a proper strength and conditioning program
- Gaining knowledge of physiological testing protocol, administration and analysis of VO2 Max assessments
- Increasing knowledge of biomechanical software
- Gaining the ability to interact with clients, increase communication skills and effective team functioning
“When I first arrived at the Peak Centre in Ottawa the whole team (was) very welcoming and it was easy to settle in straight away. I feel that the internship program (has) been well planned and structured which enabled me to enhance both my practical skills and academic knowledge. Through conducting fitness assessments, leading consultations and instructing strength and conditioning classes, my confidence grew significantly throughout the year. I particularly enjoyed the interaction with my clients and following their progress. It was very rewarding to observe them achieve their desired goals. The year spent as part of the Peak Centre team was a very educational and enjoyable experience.”
Greater Manchester, England
University of Bath
Intern duties & responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Administrative duties include scheduling appointments, answering questions by phone, email, in person, etc.
- Laboratory set up, assessment administration, analysis of results
- Equipment calibration; set up for VO2 Max, lactate analysers
- Laboratory and fitness centre cleaning
- Carrying out conslutations with clients
- Carrying out dry land training sessions with varying team ages
- Designing training plans and/or exercise prescription
- Promoting and seeing out operation of the Peak Centre Indoor Racing Series
- Daily set up, maintenance and cleaning of training centre
Hear from former Interns!
During my 3 month internship at the Peak Centre for Human Performance I was introduced to the profession of high performance training and exercise physiology. The Peak Centre’s team provided an in-depth knowledge base covering much more than what I had expected. I was immersed with numerous different exercise prescription and training techniques, in addition to applied laboratory testing. At the Peak Centre there is nothing left to question behind what they do. As they apply exercise science to each aspect of their product, the Peak Centre is able to provide their clientele with top of the line training information, no matter whether they are a first time exerciser or a professional athlete. The Peak Centre’s knowledgeable staff provides their clients with science-based reasoning as to why their training methods are proven to get you the results your hard work deserves. The Peak Centre is a great place to do an internship as they teach you how to apply exercise science to real life situations. Overall, the Peak Centre provided me with a career changing internship experience.
University of Regina
“Having graduated from the Human Kinetics program at the University of Ottawa, the Peak Centre Internship program was the perfect compliment to my education. I was able to implement the theories and strategies that were taught in the classroom to real world situations. The interaction with the clients proved to be a satisfying reward as well as a crucial part in the learning process. As well, the staff at Peak Centre was always there to encourage me to work independently while still being there when I asked for support. Working at Peak proved to be a very rewarding experience and I highly recommend it to other students interested in the fitness industry.”
University of Ottawa
How to Apply
All Peak Centre applicants are expected to have an enthusiastic and outgoing personality while engaging with clients. They should feel at ease when interacting with clients at all levels, parents, and coaches while maintaining a professional appearance. In order to benefit from your internship experience it is important that all prospective interns have the drive, motivation and aspirations to learn and become a well educated sport scientist.